Saturday, May 10, 2014

Motherless Child

Just laying here thinking am I supposed to feel this empty for the rest of my life? Tomorrow is Mother's Day and I am so sad and devastated. My mother died when I was 8 months old and my grandmother dies when I was 16 years old. My sister tried to step in but I was so full of hurt, pain and anger. What have I done to get people who I know beyond the shadow of a doubt would have loved me. I am a good person. I will give up my last to someone else. I love to laugh. I love to make other people happy. I am a great cook. I am a good singer. I am a business woman. I may be fat but I am pretty. Why did I deserve to get stripped of something of such great value? I try to focus on my kids when I get sad but I was Angie before I had kids. I had this same emptiness before they got here. They bring me joy but I have ambivalent feelings toward Mothers Day. Same thing happens every year. I thought I would  be over this by now. The older I get ....the more I hate that I have no mother to text...no mother to call...no mother to call. I would love to call her and exchange recipes. I would love to have a cool tradition with my mom. It's strange even typing "my mom" because I don't even know how to react to what that means because I was the kid that all the older people tried to take care of because she "had no one". Now I know exactly what that means. Having no one...I am very very very familiar with that.

The love that my husband gives me is not enough to comfort this pain either. I never wanted him to feel the pain that I go through but his dad just recently past away and we all miss him and think of him often. I can just look at my husband and see the look on his face and already know he is missing and thinking of his dad. Even though he was a father in law. He was a father in love. He always treated me with love. 

Sometimes I listen to old school music and wonder if my mother listened to it at some point in her life. My grandmother told me she liked Sunkist Orange Pop...so I started drinking it when she told me that because any information I got about my mother I wanted to do what she did to feel closer to her. That didn't work either. She was quiet, meek, soft spoken and slow to anger. I was filled with ranging anger as a child. I remember being in first grade...second grade...hell every grade in elementary and being in class all alone on "Take Your Kid To Work Day" I had no one to take me to work. I used to always ask my Auntie Kim if I could go to work with her on that day at the City Hall but she traveled a lot so I stopped asking. I was searching for my individuality. I wanted to find something that could never be found. I even pushed my sister away back. I still was full of anger and would just lash out at her. I didn't want to get close to anyone because people I love eventually die. I didn't want to keep getting my heart ripped out my chest.

I wonder what was my mother's favorite color. I love pink. Purple is okay but pink just makes me happy. De'Lon told me a while ago that my mother could sing....I thought I got my voice from my Auntie Jean. I am just so lost I don't know her and I wish I did. I don't know what her favorite tv show was or her favorite movie. My favorite movie is "Long Kiss Goodnight" ...I could watch it 10 times in a row. Literally. I would like to know how she felt when she saw me for the first time when I was born. I will never know. My aunts and uncle has memories of her and I make up my own fantasies in my head and convince myself that that's what it is when in reality I know nothing. Absolutely nothing. I have one sister I trust with my life....my other sisters are strangers. Selina I can't deal with at all and Tonya I just lost contact with and has been meaning to call her but I don't know what to say. My Goodson cousins are like sisters to me but they are not. I really wish they were my biological sisters too but again, they are not. 

I remember when my husband proposed to me. No lie, that night I was thinking how cheated out of life I have been given. I had no mother to call and be excited about this next stage in my life. I will go through all the stages of my life with no mother to consult. My Auntie Jean is the closest think I have to a mother but she doesn't like it when I cry and am sad so I don't call often because I don't want to ruin a good day or evening she was having with me being sad and emotional. So I only call her when I am in good spirits. My Uncle Carl I just started back talking to him recently but I haven't talked to him since January. I miss him. He sent me some pictures of my mother and I appreciate that. I am going to end this because  no matter what I type my life will be the same. Motherless. Time magazine could publish this and I will still be Motherless. Oprah could have me on a show to talk about it but I would not go because talking never does anything. I learned that as a child. Talking and doing is two very different things.

I remember when Mt. Sinai, my old church built a new extension on the other side and I was sad because even being that young I knew I wanted to stay on the old side when my mother was at some point. I just wanted to be where she once was. To sit on the pew she once sat at....even then that was my mentality. I just want to smile. I don't think that I will betray my mother by being happy and not crying for her or my grandmother....even. I honestly am laying here in this bed on my stomach...I have been crying the WHOLE time I have been writing this. Again, I would like to smile. I like smiling. My heart has other plans. So I will pretend like my mother is here by me reading what I am typing.

Dear Mom,
I really wish...

I can't do this. This is too much. My tears are clouding my vision.

As always, I will tell you if your mother didn't.... You have one mother. Once she is gone you have no second chance. Give her roses while she is alive.

I'm out ....

No comments:

Post a Comment